Titanium Dice, Dominoes, Pens, etc.
A TON of stuff in today's post/update...
First up, our most late project (the PillPots), is almost underway (we have the material for the smaller sizes ready to go ...and should receive the larger material soon). It's been beyond frustrating for Customers of these ...and I rightly deserve every single bit of flak I get for this.
Again, if you're someone waiting for these and don't want to wait any longer ...then a refund is always an option. But, if you can hold off a little longer, we're almost there.
In terms of overall progress of late projects ...we can probably count how far we are away from catching up in terms of weeks (rather than months). I've been trying to run as many of the machines for as long as possible every day for 5 or 6 weeks now and it's really paying off in terms of getting products shipped out.
In saying that, I'm still making mistakes and things are slipping here are there.
SlideCache Utility Blade Holder
This project is now officially late. My sincere apologies to anyone who is waiting on these.
I was making solid progress and fully finished around 30 or 40 of them (which was almost half) ...and then threw them all in the trash and started again.
Here's what the fixturing and machining looked like:
Well, one of our machinists came to me and said he was playing with one of them, trying to use it and it just was not very good. In fact, he specifically said, "You need to re-design it."
He was absolutely correct. I was either ignorant or kidding myself (or both!) that the design was ready. This situation rarely happens (if anything it's the other way around where I am pushing for things to be better and better). But for whatever reason I totally dropped the ball on this Thankfully, our machinist gave me a kick on the pants on this and woke me up!
What was the issue that needed the re-design?
Well, CLICK HERE to take a look at the Titanium Utility Blade Holder page (in case you have not seen it before). The issues is that it was just not that easy to get the blades in and out of the blade holder. It was fiddly. Somehow I managed to convince myself that it was fine. Shame on me.
Luckily that initial design never made it to any customers.
I then spent the next few days testing and tweaking and testing and tweaking. I think nearly a DOZEN new prototypes later and it's finally dialled-in and functioning exceptionally well.
Not only that, but I'm using different fixturing this time which will speed up the machining hugely (which means we're only a week or so away from shipping).
This is a real lesson to learn from!
Titanium ClickShift Pens
Production on these has been going well. Here are some photos:
We're just finishing the internal mechanism parts right now.
Again (and I sound like a broken old record when I say this) this is yet another late project - so definitely no celebrations or such on this.
Titanium Dominoes (NEW 55-Piece Set)
By popular demand (and by that I mean Customers DEMANDING it!)...
We've made a 55-Piece Titanium Domino Set.
Customers who bought the standard 28-piece 6 x 6 set wanted the "full monty" 55-piece 9 x 9 set.
My solution to this was to design the custom aluminium case so that the top layer was the 6 x 6 set ...and the lower layer is 27 more pieces to take it up to the full 9 x 9 set. This way you can play either domino game.
It's proven fairly popular already. Click here to check it out.
I'm making some titanium dice right now ...and they take way more work to make than I thought they would (unfortunately this means they have to be priced on the higher side).
BUT, they have come out really well:
Here's a little behind-the-scenes photo of the milling of the "dots" in the CNC machine...
CLICK HERE to check them out.
...and I think that's all I have for you today. 🙂